Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Time for a change

It feels like Cam is going to be starting a whole new job almost.  Today, he moves to a new station and this year, Orem switched from working 24 hour shifts, to 48 hour shifts.

Every couple of years, the department gets switched around and everybody moves to different stations.  For the last couple of years, Cam has worked in the station located in Lindon (Lindon has a contract with Orem city to do their fire/rescue) which is also the slowest station.  That means that most days they only get a couple of calls, and spend most of their time training or doing PR stuff (i.e. tours of the fire station, visiting an elementary school).  It also means that he sleeps most nights without having to get up.  That has been SO nice, because he rarely comes home from work tired, and needing to sleep during the day once he is off of work.  However, this station that he is going to be working at this year is the BUSIEST station.  Which means, most likely he will be awake at least one of the two nights of his shift.  These next couple of weeks, I think will take some adjusting.  I've got to get more accustomed to Cam being gone for two days in a row (he already works two days in a row fairly regularly when he has shifts in Orem and Eagle Mountain back to back) and also to allowing him to get a good nap in once he's home from work.  It might get kind of interesting (read: grumpy) around here once the baby arrives if neither one of us is ever getting a decent amount of sleep :)  But Cam is really excited for both changes.  He's glad to be busier at work and has always wanted to switch to 48 hour shifts. 

I feel like we've been thrown into the deep end, and it's sink or swim time.  His first 48 shift has actually been changed to a 72 hour shift.  After working the regular 48 hours in Orem, he goes straight to Eagle Mountain to do another 24 hours.  So we won't see him again till Friday.  I'm sure we'll survive, and as always, we'll miss him till we see him!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

<> I am sure that it will all work out. You seem to be really good at planning ahead as best you can.

BTW, just call Laurie if you need a sitter for some shut-eye.
(hehehehe I will have to make sure she reads your blog to get the full effect of that comment.)

Carrie said...

I posted "HUGS" for you on the last post. Not sure why it didn't show up.

Becky R. said...

Hang in there, girl. You are amazing!

Cindy Ricks said...

Wow! That is a big change. Good luck. We should go shopping together sometime. It would be so much fun! I don't work on Fridays...so that would be the best day for me to go.

Christine said...

Blah. I disliked A's 36-hour shifts - I can't imagine overnighters on a regular basis. I know that you "do what you've gotta do" but I really think you are amazing. I'm glad that Cam likes his work and hope that the two of you can find a rhythm that works for your family.