Friday, January 28, 2011

Oh, my gosh, I'm an adult!

I've never been the type to dread an upcoming birthday.  I spent most of my teenage years being told that I looked so much younger than I really was.  I never took it as a compliment when at 18 years old, people mistook me for a 15 year old.  Maybe, because of that, I've enjoyed getting older.  However, just the other day I realized that coming this may, Cam and I will have been married 7 years. 

Really?

7 years?

Already? 

I also realized that Cam will be turning 30 this August.  Thank goodness I'm a year younger, and don't cross that milestone for another year :) 

For some reason, the thought of those two numbers, has sent me into shock.  If I've been married this long, and we are approaching our 30's, then we can only be described as adults.  We are no longer young adults or newly weds.  Just, married adults.  How is that even possible?  I don't have all the answers yet.  I still call my Mommy for help all the time.  Surely, lacking those few things means true adulthood is still a ways down the road.  But, no.  It's here, looking all scary and intimidating.

Now, I realize, while I might describe my marriage of 7 years as a long time and 30 as a scary, old number.  To many people, we are still young pups, that have a lot of learning to do.  Which, I'm sure, is true.  In 10 or 20 years, I'll probably look back, reread this and just laugh.  But, at this moment, from my current perspective, I feel completely intimidated by the responsibilites I have created for myself.

But, ready or not, here we come.

1 comment:

Becky R. said...

It's crazy getting old...however, I refuse to accept the fact that I'm old. When I'm 50, I will still be saying that I'm just a youngin'.

What is great about being married for 7 years is that you've already been through and overcome a lot. When I look at newlyweds back in the places I was a few years ago, I relish the memories, but am grateful that I've finished some of those milestones (ie school, Koy's thesis.)