Marathon #2, complete:)
A few days after we returned from our trip to Colorado, I had another marathon to run. Cam had to work, so my Mom watched the kids for me.
This marathon was so much better than my first. I won't bore anybody with the details of the race. I'm afraid I might loose my handful of readers if I keep up the long recaps of all my races :)
Anyways, I rode up with my friend Marci and her husband (he decided to run the marathon just a week or two before), but I had planned to run this race by myself. Marci was going to run with her husband, and they are both faster than me. I was nervous about being out there for 4+ hours all by myself. Almost all of my long training runs had been run with Marci, so I was a little nervous if being out there alone, I'd psych myself out and have another horrible marathon.
At the start line, we parted ways, and I was out there by myself. I'm happy to report, I kept it together quite nicely. I was enjoying the perfect early morning temperatures, and the pretty views, talked to a few other runners, and just kept putting one foot in front of the other. At the half way mark, I turned on my music, and that gave me a little boost.
At around mile 18, the fatigue and aches started up. I popped a few Exedrin, and just kept going.
I finished in 4:14, 30 minutes faster than my first marathon. My fueling was right on, and I felt so much better prepared for this race.
I'm proud of my improved time, but even more than that, I'm proud that I stayed mentally tough through out the entire race. Even during those painful last miles, I didn't stop running even once. Going into the race, I felt like that was where I was really struggling, mentally being strong. Powering through the fatigue, and heat, and all the elements that can beat a person down during long runs, was my weak spot. I was SO proud of myself, to finish this marathon all by myself, have fun (I did not any fun during my last marathon), and finish strong mentally.
After the race, I came home, and pretty much parked it on the couch for two days. That course had several miles of steep down hills. Even though running down hill is easier at the time, it really beats your legs up, and you pay for every downhill mile later. I could hardly walk or go up or down stairs, my legs were so unbelievabley sore. My mom had planned to return home the day after the marathon, but she felt bad for me to have to be home taking care of the kids alone in the sad shape that I was in, so she graciously stuck around another day. It took me a good 3 or 4 days before I could move around with out grimacing with every step.
I'm so glad to have this race under my belt. It helped boost my confidence in my running, and now I have a more accurate marathon finish time.
P.S. In related news, I went to see the orthopedic doctor that specializes in the hip injury that I have a couple days after the race cause it seems the cortisone was wearing off. I had hopes that I could just go in every 6 months or so for several years and get cortisone, but when I went in and asked for the shot, they informed me that they will only do 3-4 injections max. They gave me the injection, but I'm scheduled to get the surgery in mid September. I have two more races that I've already payed for, and right after the last one, I'm going to get this thing taken care once and for all. My hopes are that I can be fully recovered and given the green light to start running again by January, and that should give me enough time to get in shape for the summer racing season:) I'm nervous and worried what the recovery is going to be like. They doctors have already warned my that I'll need lots of help with the kids cause I'll be on crutches for about 4 weeks. Luckily Cam's family is willing to help out, and my Mom plans on coming out to help too.
2 comments:
That is awesome that you beat your time and felt a lot better! Sorry that you'll need surgery though, hopefully it fixes the problems. If your kids need to come sleep at my house after the surgery they are more than welcome!
Your amazing that's all I have to say!
Post a Comment