Friday, May 18, 2012

Colton's 1st Birthday

On Wednesday, Colton turned 1!  We celebrated his birthday on Mother's Day with all of Cam's family.  I was rushed to put a birthday party together with being out of town almost all of last week, but I think he still had fun :)
Piper, at his party.  Balloons are always a hit with the kids.

Uncle Ethan helped him open the presents (so did all the bigger kids)

Singing "Happy Birthday"
Eating the cupcake, just a few bites in.

in the middle.  I love how you can see an almost perfect frosting hand print on his face.

Finished!

He didn't really seem to like the cupcake all that much.  He mostly just played with it. And smeared all over his face.
He got some great new toys and clothes for his birthday.

What's he doing now?
  • He walks along the furniture
  • He's tried a few times to stand on his own
  • He LOVES to walk while holding his hands, he just thinks he is so darn cool.
  • He finally started drinking out of a sippy cup.  But it's only a few sips here and there.  I think we'll be holding on to the bottles for a little while longer.
  • He sleeps through the night most of the time.  On occasion he'll wake up in the really early morning (4am or so) and want a bottle.
  • He still takes two naps a day. 
  • He mimics words and sounds really well.
  • He says uh-oh, hi and goodbye, night-night.
  • It seems he is bit of a scared-y-cat, just like the girls.  He gets freaked out over the little things.
  • He LOVES cars and balls.  Why is it that boys naturally gravitate towards those, while girls gravitate toward dolls?  Interesting.
  • He loves his big sisters.
  • He's a little squirmy fellow.  Diaper changes are a challenge, as is church.
  • He's not shy.  He's pretty content to receive attention from anybody that will give it to him.
  • Everybody comments on his big blue eyes.  He got those from his dad :)
  • He WILL NOT hold his bottle.  He loves the cuddle time he gets when Cam or I (cause he won't take a bottle very easily from anyone else) feed him his bottle.  It makes me nervous that it might be difficult to wean him off the bottle.
  • He has a favorite blanket that he has to sleep with.  He sucks on the corner of it to sooth himself.  I don't know why, but for some reason he decided that was really comforting.
  • His nick-name is buddy.  We named him Colton with the intention to call him Cole.  As of yet, it's just Colton or buddy (or COLTON CHRISTOPHER!!! when he's in trouble), but I think as he gets a little older we'll eventually find ourselves calling him Cole.
  • He's got those baby eagle eyes, and can spot every rock, crumb, or trash on the floor.
At his Doctors appointment yesterday he measured:
  • 30.6 inches in length-75%
  • 21 lbs 10 oz-~25%
  • 75 cm head circ-75%



His first real time drinking from the sippy.  I honestly didn't know if he ever would.  He loves his bottle.


I love this face.  He's saying uh-oh, and always drags out the ohhhhh


Oh, man.  I can't believe my little baby is already 1.  Fortunately we survived that infamous 1st year, but it's a little bitter sweet that our little baby will soon be entering the toddler stage.

1 comment:

Cindy Ricks said...

He is so cute!! I love the pictures of him eating his cake. He is so light. Orin weighs like 25 lbs. Happy birthday Colton!