Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Salt Lake Half Marathon

I decided to run the Salt Lake Half Marathon again this year.  I should have known it was going to be rough going, but I thought I could tough it out.  Each time I sign up for a race, I try to wait till the last minute because I'm always nervous that something will come up preventing me from being able to run.  So I waited, and about a month ago, everything seemed good, so I went ahead and signed up.  Well sure enough, about a week after I did, my hip started to bother me.  This is a recurring injury, so I knew I had two options: 1-run through the pain (which didn't work out very well last time I had this problem) or 2- rest and try to let it heal at the first sign of the pain.  I opted for #2 and rested, and rested, and rested.  I rested for about 2 1/2 weeks total and had very little improvement.  So, as the race neared, I decided to just take a few ibuprofen and go for it.

On the race morning, I felt good, the ibuprofen was working, and so I even had hopes for a PR.  Well about 6 miles into the race, my stomach started to get a little upset, by mile 7, I was desperate for a restroom.  And the rest of the race, I had to stop and almost EVERY water station for a bathroom break.  I honestly can't remember ever feeling so ill.  The most frustrating part was, I had tons of energy!  When I was running, I was cruising at optimum speed, but my tummy had other plans for me that day.  Grrrr!!!  So needless to say, no PR.  But I did finally resign to the fact, that this just wasn't my day, and there would be other races, and other opportunities to PR.  I still have no idea what caused the problem, maybe the pain med, or maybe my sorry attempt to "carbo load" the day before. 
(Finishing the race, I didn't see them, but they saw me)
(I look about as good as I felt, I was sick, and it HURT just to walk)
 
On a plus side, Cam and the girls were able to see me finish.  It helped me keep going knowing that they were waiting (and waiting and waiting) for me to cross that finish line.

2 comments:

Becky R. said...

You poor girl. Good for you for hanging in there! Whew. I love to run as well.

Jolynne said...

Your amazing!