My Dad had his surgery this last week to remove the cancer from his colon. The surgery went well, but once they were in there, they realized the mass was bigger than they thought. They also removed the lymph nodes, because the cancer had spread to them. They said it was stage 3 cancer. The Dr's feel like they removed all the cancer, but are still recommending Chemo because it had spread a little. As soon as he is healed from the surgery, he will start chemo treatments, probably around the first of August.
I've kind of been unsure of how to react to my Dad's diagnosis, because my Dad has always seemed invincible. He's rarely sick, and even more rarely hurt. I just can't imagine him being laid up from surgery, and the thought of going through chemo is just unreal. I've always kind of felt that this stuff happens to other people, yet here were are in the middle of it. I know my Dad will beat this, the Dr's feel like it was caught in time, but it's a little too close for comfort. It's been hard because I feel like my Dad doesn't deserve this. Not that anybody actually deserves cancer, but my Dad is a really good person. He is the most giving person that I know. He's unbelievable smart, and seems to have a good knowledge of pretty much everything. I've always gone to my Dad first for advice on money, life, computers, church, home, everything. I just can't picture him being anything but the amazing Dad he has been my whole life.
4 comments:
Leisa, I have always loved and respected your Dad. He is such an AMAZING man! My prayers are with him and your whole family. *hugs*
So glad that the doctor's think they got it all, but sorry he still has to do chemo ):
I have a great respect and a fond place in my heart for your Dad. He taught me for two years in seminary, and I thought he was the best teacher ever. We'll be praying for him.
Leisa, I don't know how I missed this post. Actually, I do. My desktop has been broken for over a month now, so I'm barely ever on Doug's laptop.
I just heard about your dad this week from my mom. I'm SO sorry to hear that your family also has to deal with cancer. It's not something anyone should ever have to deal with. Your dad was my seminary teacher for I think 2 years in seminary, and I always remember him being so funny without even trying to be. My parents and I both also remember him always helping me with my tough math homework. He always knew how to get the right answer. What a genius! I wish your family and him well with this battle. I know he can overcome it! Love you guys.
Post a Comment