Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Surviving these three hooligans

So, I haven't really had time to do much blogging, nor have I been in the mood, but I want to do a quick update of the last couple of weeks.

  • Colton had his two week appointment last week, and I have to say, this was the most horrible Drs appointment I have ever been to.  The number one reason it was awful:  Colton was circumcised, and I got to watch the whole thing.  I was completely unprepared because I thought there was no way that the Dr would do it while I was in the room.  However, I got the resposiblilty of feeding Colton some sugar water to try and keep him happy the whole time.  I don't want to be dramatic, but it was a little tramitic to watch.  It was like a 20 minute procedure, and it was quick horrific.  The number two reason it was an awful appointment:  The Dr wanted me to take Colton to the hospital for another bilirubin check because he was still the tiniest bit yellow.  In my opinion, he was hardly yellow, and it was a waste of my time to drive to the hospital for another bilirubin check.  Of course the results were fine, and there was no need for any treatment or anything. The last reason it was a bad appointment:  Colton only weighed 8 lbs 5 oz, which is one ounce shy of his birth weight.  Since he wasn't at his birth weight, I had to come back a few days later for a weight check.  Again, I felt like this was a waste of my time.  Seriously, it was only one ounce away.  And of course, when I brought him back for his weight check, he was 8 lbs 6.5 oz and the Dr wanted him to be at 8 lbs 7.5 oz.  One ounce shy again.  So, of course the Dr ordered another weight check in a couple of days.  When I brought him back, he weighed 8 lbs 12 oz, which was well above what the Dr required, so finally Colton got the all clear.  I was so frustrated with all this nonsence.  I felt like it was all a waste of my time, and I still haven't quite gotten the hang of taking all three kids places.  So two extra trips to the Dr's office and a trip to the hospital tried my patience a little.
  • We bought a new-to-us car.  Actually this was pretty easy, because we just bought my parents 2007 Honda Pilot from them.  When my Dad came over to pick up my Mom, he just brought the car over, and left it here with us.  The stressful part was trying to get out of our lease on the Camry.  Thankfully, my prayers were answered and we were able to sell the car.
  • However, almost as soon as we got the new car, Cam's truck stopped working.  It took several days for Cam to get a chance to work it, but all it needed was a new battery and a jump start. 
  • I survived my first 4 day stretch of being alone with the kids.  The first two days were a little rough because Cam had to take my car to work when the truck wasn't running, which left me trapped in the house for two days.  But I survived and so did the kids, so all in all, it was quite successful.
  • We finally got some toys for the backyard, and we've finally gotten a break from all the rain and cold.  So, the girls have spent a lot of time out back playing. 
Covered in dirt and chalk

Oh good, rubbing the dirt and chalk in your hair

Which is great, except that we still have some landscaping to get done, so there is quite a bit of dirt and mud out back.  Needless to say, there's been a lot higher need for baths and laudry since they started playing out there everyday.

I thought this picture was hilarious.  Somehow he rinkled his face all up, and he looks like an old man.

  • Colton is a pretty happy baby as long as he has a full tummy.  He eats pretty much every three hours now, which is welcomed change from needing a bottle every two hours, day and night.  And last night, he had one stretch of sleep that lasted four hours.  Hoorah!

    It is darn near impossible to keep their room clean. 
  • We moved Lexi into Abby's room.  I was hoping that Colton would sleep in my room for several months, and I wouldn't have to move the girls into the same room quite yet.  But it just isn't working to have Colton in our room, so we went ahead and made the move.  Luckily it's been a much easier transition than I thought it would be.  Now all that's left to do is paint over the pink in Lexi's old room and organize the girls closet so it will hold both of their massive amount of clothing and toys.
Mostly, though, these last couple of weeks has just been us trying to figure out how we are going to survive a three year old, a one year old, and a newborn.  Thankfully, there have been friends offering to watch the girls and bring us meals.  Thats definitaly made things a little easier on us.

4 comments:

Becky R. said...

Keep up the good work! You are doing an AMAZING job!!!

Laurie said...

He is a beautiful baby!! I think you look like you are doing fabulous! I saw you out for walks already! You are amazing!! I am so lucky to have such nice, wonderful, amazing, inspiring family such as yours to be neighbors with!!

Luke and Kellie said...

Love the "old man" picture! Too funny (:

Christine said...

I didn't realize they did circumcisions after 2 weeks - with Adam it was when he was one day old and I got to just sit in my hospital bed while they took him away. And I still felt really bad seeing him sore and uncomfortable afterward. Do not envy you having to be there firsthand!!

I hope you are getting some sleep, that Colton becomes a champion sleeper, and that after a few months you can do more than survive. (I think that was around 3 months for me, but then, I don't have 3 kids! :) )