Thursday, April 7, 2011

Vegas, Baby!

This last weekend, Cam and I went to Las Vegas.  Cam had entered into a power lifting competition, and so we decided to make a long weekend out of it.
I had to take a picture of the pirate ship at Treasure Island for Abby to see.

About a week before we left, Cam's mom offered to watch the girls for us, so we could get a little getaway, just the two of us.  It was so nice of her to offer, sometimes, I don't know what I've done to deserve such awesome favors from his family.  When we arrived at out hotel on Friday, it took all of about 5 minutes to realize how horribly miserable the whole trip would have been if we had to of brought the girls.  We stayed at the Imperial Palace (not a good hotel.  I would never recommend this hotel to ANYONE!) and the line to check in was over an hour wait.  Then, once we checked in, there was a line for the elevators.  Thank goodness we were only on fifth floor, because we ended up taking the stairs to get to our room most of the time. 

Friday evening, we ate dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (yum!), then headed over the Belagio to see the fountains.

Saturday morning, after breakfast, we went in search of the location of the competition.  It was a two day event, but Cam's weight class didn't compete until Sunday, so we had a free day to explore the Strip.  We then headed to a place that sells discount tickets for same day shows.  There were a ton of shows that I wanted to see (not sure Cam shared my enthusiasm), but Cam really wanted to see Jay Leno.  He was in town for the weekend doing a couple of shows, so we jumped at the chance to see him.  We decided to go in search of a mall next, Cam had forgotten a few items he needed for the competition.  After some shopping and lunch, it was time to head back to the hotel.  I was pooped.  I'm sure we had walked 3-4 miles that morning, so I needed to rest up, if I was going to make it to a 10pm show.

Yeah, I pretty much stuck out like sore thumb.  I think 90% of the people there, just stared at my huge tummy. 


  That evening, we headed to the Mirage, were Jay Leno was performing and ate dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen.  Then it was time for the show!  We were both really excited!  Jay Leno did an awesome stand-up act.  He was funny, but it was also very clean.  It was such a nice break from all the filth that is all over the Strip.  We got back to our hotel about 12:30, and totally crashed.

Sunday, we had to get up early so that Cam could weigh in and get drug tested for the competition.  It ended up being a pretty small competition, and had a very casual atmosphere.  Cam had a lot of fun, and set some personal PR's in all three lifts. 

Squat.  I was not able to get a single decent picture the whole trip.

Bench press

Dead lift

Receiving his medal.  I think that the guy with the red ribbon, is being trained to go to the Olympics.
I enjoyed watching, for the most part.  It went from about 8:30am to 3pm, but the chairs weren't all that comfortable.  Cam got a medal (3rd place, I think) in his weight class.  I'm not sure how much he was able to lift in each event, but I know it was a lot.  So much, that when they pick up that big heavy bar loaded with all that weight, it bows.  We ended up just relaxing in the hotel room until dinner, where we ate at Serendipity 3.  It was good food, and of course we had to try the famous frozen hot chocolate, but it was the slowest service ever.  We called it an early night and were lights out by about 8:30pm.  We really know how to party hard, haha!

Monday, we drove back home, and we were so anxious to see the girls.  They did great, but I think everybody was  ready to get home, and get back to our normal daily routine.

It was a fun trip, but I have to say, I have little to no desire to ever go back to Vegas.  It's such a filthy place.  As soon as you get there, you can really feel the absence of the Holy Ghost.  I've been told that the Holy Ghost will not go into unclean places, and that pretty much describes Vegas.  Plus, EVERYTHING, is super expensive.

4 comments:

Becky R. said...

Glad you got away, and congrats to Cam for his hard work. Thanks for your information about Vegas, too.

Toni said...

It's so nice to have some time to yourselves, isn't it? I often forget what that's like with no family around. How much longer until your due date? I wanna see pics!

Cindy Ricks said...

Hey Leisa! Its nice to get away a little bit before the baby comes. Just a couple more weeks.

Cindy Ricks said...

By the way I love your picture! Your baby bump looks so cute! I feel like everywhere I go people are staring at my tummy too.