Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Being a Fireman's Wife

A picture of Cam at work
Being married to a fireman has it's challenges.

I get asked all the time if Cam tells me about the calls that he goes on at work.  "Anything cool happen?" is a common phrase that we both hear.  And actually, it was only a few months after Cam started working that I stopped asking the details of what happened at work.  I stopped for two reasons: 1.  Many days, nothing exciting happened.  He goes on a lot of boring calls.  2.  A lot of the time, the "exciting" ones are too gross.  I quickly came to realize, that "exciting" usually means someone got hurt, badly.  And I just don't have the stomach for that kind of stuff.  So, for me, a very brief description of his work day is all I need.

But last week, I heard about a call, that has been on my mind ever since.  And the only reason I even asked about what happened was because I drove by, and saw several ambulances, and many firetrucks, and lots of police cars.  Typically, lots and lots of flashing lights, means something serious.  And it was.  A woman was in a rollover car accident, and had two kids in the car.  One of the kids died in the accident, and the other was sent to the hospital, but there wasn't much hope for survival.  The mom survived.

Just hearing about what happened, made my heart hurt for this mother.  Cam said "she was just driving along, doing nothing wrong, when this truck hit her".  I had so many thoughts going on in my head when he was telling me about it.

"I guess it's impossible to protect our kids from everything, all the time."

"How will this woman, that most likely lost both of her kids, ever recover from that devastation?"

"How does Cameron handle witnessing horrible things, especially to children?"

When Cam was in paramedic school, one day he came home and said that his teacher said that everybody should go home, and have a talk with their wife.  He said, that I should be prepared, because firefighters/paramedics deal with a lot of horrible things, and it will affect him.  And I need to be ready to accept whatever his method is to cope with all of it.

I still don't know how he copes with all of it. But, my method of dealing with his job, is blind ignorance.  I don't want to know what happened.  If I know all the bad stuff that can happen, then I'll be terrified to leave my house.  I'm too emotional, and too sensitive.

3 comments:

Cindy Ricks said...

That is really sad about that mom. I understand being sensitive and not being able to handle it. I can't even watch the news because it makes me sad.

Jolynne said...

When I found out this story when I was driving to the Manti temple using Cory's phone on the internet.
I was sick to my stomach. I can't imagine and I don't want to try too!
I will stop asking you that question! :)
Cam is one brave guy!

Toni said...

Wow! I never even thought about all that horrible stuff that he has to live with after he sees it. I'm sorry! That's probably hard on both of you guys.

I hate hearing about kids dying, too. They have a new story on the news here (it seems like a new one every week or two) about kids drowning in pools. That makes me sick to my stomach, too!