Monday, August 16, 2010

Oh my gosh! I need potty training advise BADLY!

Help! I'm in desperate need of some advise! I potty trained Abby when she was like 28 months or so. She seemed ready, and got the concept great and did fairly well. That was almost a year ago, and well, she will go a week or two of doing great on the potty, then there will be several weeks of several accidents a day. I know she knows how to go potty in the potty. I have tried everything to get her to chose to go in the potty rather in her underwear. I know she is basically choosing to wet her underwear. Recently, I just gave up and put her in pull-ups (I am so tired of the piles of pee-soaked laundry everyday). It was such hard decision because she has been using the potty for almost a year, and to go back into diapers...totally feels like a failure. Anyways, I was hoping that even while in the pullups she would chose to use the potty, but she is totally cool with peeing and pooping in her diaper. Anybody else have a stubborn, strong willed child that has gone through a similar situation. I need hope that she will eventually be potty trained and not having numerous accidents every day!

2 comments:

Madeline said...

I honestly think potty training is the curse of motherhood. I HATE it! Bribe her with preschool or dance class. Tell her (without punishing her) that those classes require she be potty trained so she has to stay dry for 10 days for them to let her in. Then it's the class that's "making" her do it, not you. Good luck!

Carrie said...

I do agree with the reward thing. She knows how to do it she just needs an incentive. Find whatever she wants passionately and make it her goal. When she gets it in her mind to do it, she will stick with it. Make her think it is her "choice". I do have to say that even though it is rough dealing with the accidents, I think pull-ups are enabling her and hard as it may seem getting rid of them is probably the best thing. Try making her responsible for cleaning up her "accidents", when she sees that there are natural consequences (not a punishment) for her actions it may click-in quicker. That is my two cents worth, take what works for you from it. Good luck on the endeavor!!!

I hear you are heading down to Grandmas again. She is really looking forward to it.