Tuesday, February 28, 2012

MRI results

Last week I got the results of my MRI.  The doctor said the MRI didn't show a labral tear, but it's very possible there is still one that just didn't show up.  I do definitely have FAI which is the likely cause of the pain. He said to give the cortisone a few weeks to see if it would help (as of yet, it hasn't helped) but he felt like it was unlikely it would do much.  If and when I give up hope on the cortisone, he referred me to another doctor who's specialty is hip surgery.  So, unless by some miracle the cortisone works wonders, I'm looking at surgery.

I also have been talking to my sister a lot about this because she works at a doctors office where one of the orthopedic doctors is somewhat of an expert on this particular surgery.  I've sent my scans over to her because the doctor wanted to look at them and give me her expert opinion.  I'm feeling so lucky to be able to be in contact with this surgeon.  From what I hear, it is absolutely important to find a good surgeon who knows what they are doing when it comes to the hip.  Hip surgery's are much more complex than many of the other joints.  If it's not done correctly, you could end up with more problems then before the surgery.  It also sounds like the recovery from this surgery can be long and slow.

So at this point, I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

3 comments:

Cindy Ricks said...

Good luck! I hope that cortisone works!

Becky R. said...

Thinking of you and praying for you too. Miss you.

Luke and Kellie said...

Let's hope the cortison works, that stinks sorry!