Me running to the finish line
Me and Emily (even though we didn't run together, and didn't really see each other the whole run, we finished almost at the same time)
At the finish line(Sorry, this is kind of a lengthy post, but I wanted to make sure and journal about today)
Back in October I got serious about my running again. I started running for exercise, but about 12 weeks ago, I decided to train for a half marathon. I wanted a challenge that would keep me motivated and in shape. It was perfect timing too, because it gave me just enough time to train and be ready for the Salt Lake Half Marathon. Since it was the middle of winter, I did most of my training on a treadmill, where it was warmer and free of snow. I really enjoy running, so I didn't mind logging 20-30 miles a week over the 12 week period.
A couple of weeks ago, however, I started to freak out. Not about the distance or my ability, but I was going to be doing it all alone. And having never run a race or even been to one for that matter, I was scared about the logistics of where to go, when to get there, and what to do once I arrived. At first Cameron agreed to run with me, but he ended up not getting the day off of work. And actually that complicated things even more. I then had to worry about finding a babysitter that could watch Abby starting at 5am. But I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way. I had set this goal, I really wanted to accomplish it. So anyways, over the last couple of weeks thing fell into place. My brother-in-law Ethan stayed the night, and was here in the morning to watch Abby; a guy that Cam works with wife, Marcy, needed a ride to the marathon, so I agreed to take her with me; and Jolynne volunteered to drive us in the morning to Salt Lake and drop us off. We even invited another girl, Emily, to come with us too because she was going by herself, and had the same concerns as I.
So at 4:50 this morning I headed out the door to start the journey. We picked up our fellow travelers, and got to the starting line in plenty of time. Before this morning I didn't know either of the girls that went to the race with me, but we talked all morning, and became friends quickly. Once the race started, though, we wished one another luck, and went our separate ways.
The first seven miles went so quickly, and I was feeling good. But around miles 8 and 9 I got a stomach ache, was low on energy, and started wondering if the 13th mile was ever going to come. Then bad turned to worse, I hit mile 12. It was a killer, uphill for over a mile. It took what little strength I had left to keep going. But I made it through, and just a little farther, there were crowds and cheering and music until the finish line. I finished in 2 hours 9 minutes 34 seconds, which was right around my goal. Once I stopped running, I realized how sore and tired my legs were. So, as soon as the pain subsides, I think I'll really be able to enjoy the accomplishment.
I had so much fun, and can't wait to check the calender to see when I can schedule my next race!
Thanks to:
Cameron, who, although he wasn't there to see me, encouraged me over the past 12 weeks to keep going.
Jolynne, who was the greatest support. I don't know if she knows it, but it's because of her example, that I even got the guts to do this. Jolynne doesn't let life pass her by. I realized, that I was always saying "someday I'd like to do this, or that" but never actually doing anything. So, I'm trying to adjust my attitude, and stop watching opportunities pass my by. And on top of that, when I called her yesterday, totally freaking out, she dropped what she was doing to come talk to me, and calm me down. Then she woke up at 4am this morning to drive me to Salt Lake, then cheered my on at the finish line (all while 38 weeks pregnant!). She's such an awesome, giving friend, and I feel so lucky to know her.
My in laws (the whole Monahan family) who called to wish me luck before the race, and congratulations after. It felt great to know they were thinking about me.
and Ethan, who babysat Abby, giving up a Saturday. He did a wonderful job watching her.
5 comments:
Way to go Leisa!
That is awesome!!! I think it is impressive that you had the guts and the drive to do something like that. That is quite an accomplishment!
You go girl!!!! I am impressed, and what an accomplishment. Keep it up!
YOU DID IT! I am seriously so jealous. You were so dedicated! And your time was amazing! Hopefully next year we can do it together! :) And Leisa seriously you are a great friend to me! Thanks for all the kind words! It was really all you tho! :)
You go, girl! I have absolutely no motivation to do something that ambitious, so that's awesome you did it!
Post a Comment